I saw this recipe while flipping through my Cooking Light magazines and couldn’t wait to try it. I used fresh cauliflower instead of the steam bag but followed the rest of the recipe pretty closely. One addition I made for styling, adding dill for the picture, had me running out to my garden to pick more. It really was a nice addition and I pinched a bunch more over the fritters. I had a number of veggies in the fridge that I roasted with some salt and pepper and olive oil and had that on the side. Yum.
Terrific, easy recipe that I’ll definitely make again.
1 (10-ounce) package steam-in-bag fresh cauliflower florets or 1 head of cauliflower, trimmed
1/2 cup chopped onion – I used little more
2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
5/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3/4 cup refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
2 ounces white cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1/2 cup)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons minced green onions
2 tablespoons canola mayonnaise
- Steam cauliflower until tender (or prepare cauliflower according to directions if you’re using a steam in bag).
- Place in a bowl; mash with a potato masher.
- Stir in onion, flour, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, rind, potatoes, cheese, and eggs.
- Form into 8 patties.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add oil; swirl.
- Cook patties 4 minutes on each side.
- Combine 1/8 teaspoon salt, yogurt, and remaining ingredients.
- Serve sauce with fritters.
Yield: Serves 4 (serving size: 2 fritters and 1 tablespoon sauce)
Fat 11.9 g
Satfat 3.9 g
Monofat 3.8 g
Polyfat 1.6 g
Protein 10.9 g
Carbohydrate 16.7 g
Fiber 2.9 g
Cholesterol 109 mg
Iron 1.4 mg
Sodium 521 mg
Calcium 156 mg