In addition to being decadent and delicious, this is an incredibly easy recipe. I heard it on NPR (Recipes Found – great story to go with) and made it the same day. I happen to love dark chocolate so it’s always on hand. I’ve made it twice now and I really don’t think you can ruin it.
Chocolate Mousse Recipe (serves 4)
- Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until melted. Remove from stove.
- Using a whisk, stir egg yolks into chocolate one at a time. Don’t freak out if it gets really clumpy. (I did the first time)
- With a mixer, beat the egg whites with the salt until they start to form peaks. Continue to beat while adding sugar. Continue until the whites are shiny and hold medium-firm peaks.
- Spoon 1/4 of the whites over the melted chocolate and stir with the whisk until the mixture is almost smooth.
- Spoon the rest of the whites over the chocolate and using the whisk or a large rubber spatula, very carefully fold in the whites. Be as thorough as possible without overworking the mixture.
- Spoon the mousee into a serving bowl or individual bowls. Serve now or cover and keep in the refrigerator until you’re ready for dessert.
Original post February 23, 2014